Storage saving tips
- Usually there is no need to record frames more frequently than 10 seconds apart for fast speed time-lapse. Change the recording interval to 10 seconds or larger. Recording at 1 second will use 10x more space than 10 seconds!
- Configure Teleport to delete some or all old content, but keep more of the new content.
- Record less than is published, by default all published content is recorded.
- If the above aren't good options, such as when many frames need to be kept around for months or years, change your publish source to use lower resolution images, 720p or 480p. This will further reduce space usage by at least 50%. A 720p image is 50% smaller than a 1080p image.
- Lastly, if you want HD quality and need to record many frames for a long period of time, paying for additional storage is always an option. Storage cost is $0.3 / GB / month, which means 10 GB will cost $3.00 for one month or $36.00 for a year. If you plan on storing over 250 GB contact us to enable volume pricing on your account.
Configure selective recording and deletion
The idea here is to keep more recent frames, but 'weed-out' older frames to save storage.
- These settings can be account wide or per feed, to configure account wide settings go to Dashboard -> Resources and on the feed select 'Use account settings' for Feed Dashboard -> Resources -> 'Data retention'
- The frame retention setting 'Delete some old frames' is the one we want. You choose what constitutes old frames with the 'Old content age' setting, for example 30 days. Then select how many frames to keep using 'Frame keep interval'.
- The larger the frame keep interval the less frames will be kept. Entering 60 seconds on a feed that record every 10 seconds, will delete 5 frames for every 6 recorded each minute. The result is 1 frame for every minute is kept. Entering 1 through 10 seconds, would have no effect in this case since we only record at 1 frame per 10 seconds.
- The 'Delete some old frames' setting is recommended over 'Delete all frames' as it will preserve historical images. It's better to have one image for every day in the past vs none at all, and the space usage for this is trivial.
Record less than you publish
Your live feed updates often, but you don't record every frame.
- Configure the capture interval to something like 10, 15 or 30 seconds, this is done in Feed Dashboard -> Capture -> Capture Options -> Capture interval
- By default everything published will be recorded. Change this in Feed Dashboard -> Record -> Record interval Un-check 'Record every captured frame' for this to appear. Set the record interval to something like 1,2 or 5 minutes.
- Teleport will automatically record the most recent 48 hours of anything published to a feed. This is done to make things work smoother. The space used by this extra recording is on us, you are not billed for it!
More is coming
Features to store only one frame size, i.e. the smallest or biggest, to archive frames into video vs. image files, and other space saving features are coming in future updates. This is now available in beta, let us know if you'd like to help us test it.
It is best to change settings conservatively, then adjust again if space usage does not go down as desired. After changing settings please allow 26-30 hours for changes to take full effect.
If you have any ideas or advice on reducing space usage leave your comments below. You can also suggest a feature or contact us for help
if the guidelines in this post don't work for you.